cinema demolition

In a message dated 10/26/2001 1:22:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> The Ferrari was indeed a real 250 GT California Spider. Lest you forget, the
> movies are notorious for using "body doubles" so as not to despoil the
> reputation of the star.  The scenes of the car just sitting or driving on
> the street were most likely done with the real car and the crash scene was
> the replica.  I saw the real California Spider at the Santa Barbara
> Concours
> d'Elegance back in the late '80s.  The owner had the detailed history of
> the
> car's participation in the movie.  At that time it was owned by someone in
> L.A.
> - --

If you need to destroy a valuable car in a picture, here's what is usually
done:

For some (nondestructive) scenes you probably use the real car you have
bought or rented for the occasion.

For the demolition/damage or dangerous driving scenes, you have a duplicate
body fabricated of Fiberglas.  You cover the scene so that you don't dwell on
the duplicate long or have it somehow camouflaged.  This is also handy for
scenes where you may have to do reshoots or extra takes after the one where
the car is destroyed.

The Alfa blown up in Godfather II was done with a Fiberglas double.  Possibly
the duplicate didn't have mechanicals; it may have been moved by pulleys or
on a hidden track, or they may have covered the sequence so that the
explosion occurs right after a cut or a SpFX transition from a shot of the
McCoy.  There is almost no limit to the kind of tricks tat can be used, but
the one limiting factor is money: it is ALWAYS done what appears (at least in
planning) to be the cheapest way, and with as many as 200+ highly paid people
plus hangers-on on a set, anything on a studio picture can get very expensive
very fast and time is money!

No matter what you see on the screen, even if it is a heavy safe being
dropped to crush a very expensive car, it is actually cheap in comparison to
the hourly overhead of the crew, the rentals, and mostly the insane paychecks
of the movie stars.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA