Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and castor oil

Hello Group:

While the whimsical side of many of us would like to believe that the TA is

really filled with Olio Extra Virgine di Oliva, and that Aceto Balsamico
Tradizionale would make a fine and fragrant engine coolant, there are
constraints that should be considered, and logic must prevail.  However, if
one really did want to rebuild a TA using a hydraulic fluid of their own
choice, check out Rich Hirsch's article published in i Saluti several years
ago:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/3837/ta_diy.html

On a more serious note, I do remember very clearly the unique smell of
Castrol R at vintage races I attended at Lime Rock and Bridgehampton nearly
30 years ago.  Lots of Lotus 7's and 11's, Osca's, Maserati Birdcage's,
Porsche 550's and 356's, Jaguar Xk's and even a D-Type once in a
while.  Most of these guys used Castrol R, which is indeed oil from the
castor bean plant (Ricinus communis).

As things turned out, now I'm in school for the second time as an organic
chemistry major, and have access to some interesting texts and reference
sources that explain why castor oil was so often the racers' oil of choice
(and remember that the name 'Castrol' is itself a contraction of the words
'Castor' and 'oil').

For a fluid to behave as a lubricant, it should first be polar enough to
cling to (or wet) the moving surfaces it is to protect.  Castor oil is
quite a bit more polar than all petroleum oils, including the synthetics,
which are themselves derived from petroleum.  The lubricant also must
withstand the temperatures it will encounter, and must resist boiling or
evaporating.  And of course, it must be slippery, which generally involves
its having a large molecular structure.  Castor oil meets those
requirement, too.  Castor oil is, at the same time, unstable at high
temperatures, which might appear to be a drawback, but in fact that
instability works to its advantage.  At high temperatures, above 300
degrees F., it polymerizes to form even larger molecules, which are even
more slippery.  These huge, new molecules are rich in esters, which are
stable to temperatures approaching 700 degrees F., better than any of the
synthetics.  Many reference books use wet ice sliding on wet ice as a
standard for comparison of friction coefficients of various materials.  For
example, wet ice on wet ice has a range of 0.05 to 0.15, with a lower
number indicating less friction.  Steel on steel, with non-polymerized
castor oil as a lubricant, has an average friction coefficient of 0.095,
more slippery than any other oil on the chart.  Castor oil is also
insoluble with petroleum products, meaning it won't become diluted by fuel
contamination.  While I have never seen it mentioned in a text, Castor oil,
used as an engine lubricant, is unfortunately a 'dirty' oil, and it will
leave behind deposits that are commonly called 'varnishes', which are tough
to remove because of their resistance to most solvents (I think orange oil
works well).

I also remember the racers performing a ritual they called "decanting",
which involved draining the Castrol R from the hot engines, perhaps to
reduce the formation of those varnishes, replacing the oil for the next
race after things had cooled.  I think castor oil still has some popularity
today with model aircraft enthusiasts, but have no real experience with
that hobby.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce (cable-operated TA, Dex-Cool in the radiator, Mobil 1 in
the crankcase)
Lutz, FL