Re: oddball metric fasteners

Jacob Haagerup has added a useful note to my fastener-cataloguing project (or
fiasco, timewaste, whatever-) I kept running into parts which were identified
in the parts book as simply 'nut' or 'screw' or 'washer', while most were more
fully identified- "Screw, 10 x 1.25 x 86.5 mm" or "Stopnut, 16 x 1.5 mm".
Jacob's oddballs are two such, screw 115.09.15.167.01 and nut
115.09.15.168.00, eight of each, fastening the two universal joints. Eureka!
All such lightly identified fasteners are probably connected to outsourced
components, and may occur in very small numbers, probably complicating life at
reassembly time for those who habitually shuffle fasteners during tear-downs.

 When I was starting my grand fasteners-list I ignored, as useless, the ones
which were simply labeled 'nut' or 'screw'. I should have taken special note
(and will the next time, and check them on one of the parts cars), since those
are exactly the ones that can bite you - as Jacob learned, and taught me.
Thanks -

 If anyone else has noted analogous idiosyncrasies I would appreciate hearing
of them.

 Cordially,

 John H.

Raleigh, N.C.