Re: 164 overheated!!

Does the car put out white smoke or a steamy looking
exhaust?  This would indicate head gasket problems.
There are cases where the head gasket leaks water but
doesn't include the oil passages.  Therefore the
coolant wouldn't be milky or frothy.  There's also the
possibility the plastic coolant bottle has cracked.
This happened to mine finally indicating why I had to
add water occasionally.  They crack on the rear side
and the water runs down the firewall.  This can only
be seen if you unbolt the bottle to inspect the rear
side.  I didn't have much water running onto my garage
floor and would never have noticed the crack if I
hadn't removed the bottle to work on the brake master
cylinder.  I think the water was sitting on the
subframe until the car was driven, then ran off when
the car was moving and wouldn't be noticable.  Water
being caught by the subframe could be hiding other
leaks as well, water pump, bad coolant pressure cap,
thermostat, etc.  The thermosats are a weak spot but
in my experience they usually get stuck open rather
than closed.  I've experienced this on both my 164's
as well as every Fiat and Lancia I've owned.  I'd only
take a 164 to a mechanic that's very familiar with
Alfas since there are known weak components across the
164 range and they are often not obvious to unfamiliar
eye.

Good luck,
Jerry Ecklund, San Francisco
'91 164S