oxygen sensor goes bye-bye

The story so far...
I was driving to my dad's house to start working on the Alfetta that i just
purchased, and all of the sudden my Spider got extremely loud. i got there,
lifted up the car, and the o2 sensor was just hanging there. It tore out of
the exhaust system.
Now what? Is it okay to just pull the sensor out and weld something over the
hole? I think that means horrible gas mileage and such. Truth to this? Any
other problems? Where it screws into the exhaust system is, i think, FUBAR.
I removed the sensor completely (wire connections in engine compartment),
and it still has part of the exhaust system attatched. Is it possible to
purchase a new one from Autozone, Pep Boys, etc? Or should i just remove the
exhaust (center section), weld new pipe in place, and attach a new 3-wire
sensor?
Has this happened to anyone else before?
I guess i should've known that something was amiss since my gas mileage
dropped by a factor of 4 earlier today.
Any ideas, suggestions? I have until Tuesday to get it back together. Hm.
please write directly to me, as i don't have time to sort through digests.

kyle
- '87 Spider - sleeping because she's exhausted (har har)
- '79 Alfetta - in driveway awaiting complete rebuild of everything