164 - looking for advice

Hoo, boy -

We just looked at a white '91 164. 98K, been smoked in
(pipe smoker, apparently), excellent interior and
exterior except for some kinda chewed-up rubber
weatherstrip in the doors. AC blows cool, ventilation
slow to change mode (steppers, right?), seats and
windows and all work just fine. Starts right up and
runs very well, at least up to 40+. Clutch pedal is
sticky, so takeup is a tad jerky...what's that about?
Otherwise, drives like a dream. And the guy is asking
$3995.

Causes for concern: it's at one of those junky little
corner lots on Colorado in Eagle Rock, the kind that
has a deeply forlorn ex-rental house for an office,
and cars cheek by jowl in the tiny, paved-over front
yard (although they are all pretty good cars, or look
to be). The proprietor, big affable Armenian guy,
claims he's selling the car as a favor for another
dealer in Costa Mesa who's been forced out of
business. Says that for this price we don't need to
take it to no mechanic. And at $3995 I'd say he has a
point...but it's still sorta against my religion.

Okay. So here's this obviously not-been-trashed,
silky-smooth-running 164 offered for so little money
that even two unemployed people could afford to buy
it. Whaddaya say, kids? We know some of the pitfalls
with these things (steppers, belts and tensioners);
any other biggies that could kill us here?

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://personals.yahoo.com