Replacing Alfetta Slave Cylinder -- Help Needed

Well, the fabulous furry Fillip brothers are at it again, tackling a variety
of automotive projects.

At the moment, we're stumped on the procedure for removing the existing
leaky clutch slave in my '78 Sports Sedan. To remove the nuts holding the
slave in its bore (these face the rear of the car), we need to hold the bolt
heads at the other end of the bore (facing the front of the car) fast. We
were able to get at the head of the lower (10 mm) bolt head, but the upper
(13 mm) bolt head is buried behind the tranny cross member.

Do we have to drop the exhaust and the tranny to get at this bolt head, or
is there some trick to this that we're unaware of??

Thanks for any and all help!

Joe and Kevin Fillip
Swarthmore, PA