gas fumes in 87 spider (sorry to ask this common question.)

Hello everyone,
I apologize if this has been rehashed recently, I haven't had time to catch
all the digests for a while.  I already searched the archives on this one and
have a couple questions.
First, there appear to be a couple check valves around the vapor canister
near where the jack is stored at the front of the trunk.  One is an inline
thing, the other is at the end of a short piece of tubing branching off from
a Tee fitting.  I have a lot of hissing when I open the gas tank, I'm pretty
sure it's building pressure in the tank, but it may be vacuum.  From what the
archives say, these check valves are likely to be the culprit.
Are these little suckers cleanable?  Or am I better off just buying new ones?
I don't know if it is relevant or not, but I've also noticed the fuel guage
seems to fluctuate when I accelerate hard or take turns hard.  It looks like
the sloshing gas is causing it.  I don't remember seeing this on other
spiders I've driven, but that could just be from all the gas fumes I've been
huffing.  There doesn't seem to be any gas leaking around the sending unit
cover plate though.
I feel like I'm having a hard time with this one because I can't think
straight after poking around in the trunk.  These fumes sure do pack a buzz.
Thanks in advance,
[a very light headed}
Jake Hahn
87 Spider