Re: Spider Newbie Questions

"The trim piece that holds the latches for the fuel lid and the trunk is
broken in several places, with the latches fallen to the floor.  I gather
IAP sells a new one of these for >$100.  Does anyone know of a good used
(or other new) source for these trim parts?  $100 seems a bit high."

Couldn't buy 'em for love or money a couple of years ago.  Count your
blessings!  Possibly
you can find a replacement for much less in a junkyard.

"My trip odometer seems to be broken.  It turns the tenths, but the miles
never accumulate."

The gauges are not too difficult to remove (with practice a 10 minute job),
and then you can
determine whether it is something easy (a loose part) or difficult (a broken
gear tooth - others on this list
might call this "easy" too!).  I should warn you that when the trip odo died
(just like this!) on my '86 Spider,
the regular odo went shortly after, then the speedo.  These are electronic
gauges, BTW.

"My clutch pedal is a bit stiff, and very creaky.  For the creakiness, can
I lube it with WD-40 or bicycle grease or something?  For the stiffness,
can I change the return spring or something?"

Out of curiosity, does the pedal  return to full-up when you take your foot
off it?  Or can you raise it a to a "more engaged"
position with your hand afterwards?  If the latter, you have a failing pivot.

"My brakes are weaker than I'd expect and the pedal is a bit soft.  I
suspect that this simply means bleeding the brakes, but is there anything
else I should be looking out for?"

There's always the MC - these are a common problem.  Alfa brakes should not be
soft.

"What mail-order suppliers do you all use and trust?"

You can start with the sponsors to this list (see
/alfa/).  If you go to
the club sites (eg, www.aroc-usa.org) you will find several others.

- David R.