Torquing with a crow's foot

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:33:19 -0400
> From: "Giller,Bruce C." <bgiller@domain.elided>
> Subject: torque with crowfeet?
>
> 	Can I get an accurate torque reading using a
> crowfoot wrench?
>
> 	Bruce
>
> 	'86 Spider
> 	'73 GTV engine now has a head!

use the ratio of the length of your torque wrench from
the center of the handle to the center of the bolt if
you used a socket, and the length from the handle to
the center of the bolt using a crows foot.  This ratio
will tell you how to adjust the reading on your torque
wrench.

Example:

working length with socket: 15"
working length with crow's foot: 16"

ratio 15/16 = .9375.

So, if the torque spec is 100 lb-ft, torque to 93.75
lb-ft.

OR

mount the crow's foot at a right angle to the length
of the torque wrench and be careful to pull tangent to
the arc whose radius is the working lenght of the
torque wrench.

This is the method we used on the wind turbines in
California's Altamont Pass.

Matt
http://personals.yahoo.com