Coolant Temp Sensor, 1995 164LS

My cooling fan system is acting up again (1995 164LS). The coolant temp sensor and the high speed relay was changed 2 years ago. It appears this time to be the coolant temp sensor since the fan doesn't go on until the engine is quite hot.

Question from a lame checkbook mechanic: how does the wiring connect to the temp sensor?

The wires go into a gray plastic "dome" that is somehow mounted to the sensor. I'm afraid to just start tugging at the gray plastic, but I don't see any release mechanism. I'm cautious with these modern connectors, since I have done more harm than good in similar situations before...

Regards,
Karl
Approximate location: 122 West Longitude, 37 North Latitude