Re: Spider front brakes spongy.

In a message dated 10/15/2001 11:17:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Subject: Spider front brakes spongy.
>
> Greetings,
>
> My 5 year rebuild and conversion of my Ex USA Spider is down to the last
> job. The bloody brakes.
> The braking system has been rebuilt with resleeved and rebuilt underfloor
> master cylinder and rebuilt dual booster. However the brakes were spongy and
> not up to the standards of fellow 105 dual booster systems.
> I can only conclude there is still air in the calipers, they are up the
> right way with the bleed nipples at the top.
> What am I missing here? Anyone had this problem before and solved it? Can
> anyone fault my logic?
> Any contributions gratefully accepted.
>
> Marty Wilson
> Newcastle Australia

       Marty, I hate to do this, but the Devil is urging me on!  Since that
is an American car, and you have it upside down in Australia
--------------------No, I can't go there!
       There has to be air trapped somewhere and probably in or near the
caliper.  Sometimes those things can be a bear to bleed.  Sometimes pressure
bleeding works best and at other times gravity does the job.
       I have, out of desperation, installed a set of worn out brake pads,
pump the pedal until they seat, then bleed the caliper.  Then reinstall the
new pads.
       Then, maybe it's not air, but too much movement in the pistons in the
calipers.  You can check this by having someone press the brake pedal while
you watch each caliper.

Good luck,
67 Duetto
Skip