RE: 86 Spider radiator fan shroud temperature sensor part number?

Brad,
I found the same thing was true on my 87 graduate (missing temp sensor).
According to people in the know at the Alfa shop I worked at, the temp sensor
was originally put in a bad place, and tended to cause the battery to drain
after the car was turned off.  It basically was in a hotter part of the
engine bay than it should have been and caused the a/c fan to continue
running for too long after the car was off.  My A/C worked with both wires
going to the sensor cut and just kicking around next to the fender well.  You
may want to check your fuse along the drivers side fender well.  There should
be a fuse in a fuse holder screwed to the fender well (I think it was near
the junction box with leads going to the alternator, but I can go look if you
need me to).  I also found a disconnected wire in the tangle of wires behind
the fuse box, once I reconnected that and repaired the fuse holder, the fan
came back to life.
As for the sensor, if you really want one, I would check out Alfa Parts
Exchange and see if they can snip one out of a spider for you.  (That part is
basically part of the wiring harness, I believe) I've got one that I plan to
put in eventually which I pulled out of a junker as well.  Without the
sensor, the a/c fan just turns on and stays on when the a/c is on.  It's
supposed to come one from time to time w/o the a/c just to assist the engine
fan, but you don't need it on unless the a/c is on unless you have coolant
system problems.
Hope this helps,
and good luck with a cool spider.
Jake Hahn