Emissions...The saga continues.

At the last installment, I failed NJ dynamometer emissions testing
with high NOx, and very marginal HC and CO.  (The repost is below)
Coming home tonight, the next chapter began.

Exiting Rt 295, the brake and water lights came on, and the car
started missing.  In order not to stall at lights, I had to keep the
engine at 2-3000rpm.  When accelerating, I left a cloud of smoke.
Fortunately, I only had about a mile to drive from the time this
started.

When I pulled into the driveway, I shut the car down, opened the hood
and checked for tight connections, both in the fuel system and
electrical system.
All appeared tight.  I am at 1/2 a tank of gas, so I doubt that gas
is the culprit.  The only other time something like this happened,
the attendant put regular gas in while I was giving directions to
someone.  (It is illegal to pump your own gas in NJ)

Anayway, after no more than 5 minutes, I restarted the car, and it
idled at exactly 950 rpm...steady.  Took the car out for a ride, and
it revved freely, but had more popping on deceleration, and did seem
to have some very, very minorpopping on acceleration. (unless you
knew the car, you would think it ran great.)  But even under load, up
hill, the car ran well.

I have to drive a distance tomorrow, so will rent a car.  (It still
has never left me stranded.)  But I have the weekend to work on the
car, and would like to have it ready for the NJAROC Fall Tour.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fred SaCKS
89 GRADUATE