re: leaking windshield seal

James,
 	Can't tell if this is a common problem buy my '86 Spider had it.  I
had been plagued with water in the cockpit for several years and trying
to trace it down was hard.  Even with a hose, it was hard to see just
where the water was leaking in.  Until finally I saw water in the little
trough that runs along the base of the front windshield on the inside.
The water would dump out on either drivers or passengers side depending
on how the car was tilted.

	Not sure if your '90 Spider has the same windshield design as my '86,
but there isn't a seal that goes all the way around the glass.  I
removed the bottom chrome metal strip and found that the bottom section
is sealed by a pliable, slightly sticky, rubbery rope.  Under the seal
are clips that hold the glass in place and the water was coming in at
these points.  I removed all the old seal and used a 3-M product, which
I can't remember the name, but comes in strips on waxed paper.  Costs
about $3 a box from about any auto parts store.  I mished and mashed the
new seal rope into the gap and made sure that the clips were well
sealed.  I even ran water from a hose to make sure they didn't leak, and
replace the chrome strip.

	Bruce

	'86 Spider
	'73 GTV - engine on the mend