re: Spider Motor Mount Replacement

Rob,
	If one mount is shot, so is the other (or soon will be).  I'd replace
both with a set of heavy duty units that Paul Spruell sells (around $50
each but after you do the passengers side, you'll never want to do it again).

	My '86 has a pan guard and I didn't remove it.  I just got a piece of
wood that fit inbetween the slots near the mount I was working on and
used a floor jack to raise the engine.  The wood doesn't take the full
weight of the engine, just a bit - no fins were broken when I did it.
No need to loosen the other mount at all - you are using it as a fulcrum.

	As to the bolts that hold the mount, there is only one.  The mount is
held with three nuts to the block, and one nut and one bolt to the car
body.  Remove the the top bolt that holds the mount to the body - the
easiest to get to.  Around the back is the nut/stud; remove the nut.
Sometimes the sag of the mount is so bad that the rubber doesn't allow
you to use a box wrench on it (13 mm I think).  Jack up the engine until
you get clearance - I have a manifold wrench (a bent box-end) I use or a
stubby 13 mm should work (close quarters down there).  Next remove all
three nuts from the block.  Pull on the bottom of the mount to remove
it.  There is a slot cut into the base of the mount to allow it to
engage the stud on the body.

	When replacing, you might have to jack the engine up even higher since
the old mount had not been holding it high enough.

	Doing the passenger side can really be a chore...but you need to do it.
 If you don't have A/C it is easier but you have to 'attack' it from
both the top an the bottom.

	Bruce

	'86 Spider
	'73 GTV