Cranking but no sound

Yesterday I tried to start my 82 Spider and it cranked but no spark.

I tried it again, but before I twisted the switch I stopped at "on". There
was no seat belt warning light and buzzer and no sound from the fuel pump.

I went to open the fuse box, and before I got it open, all the lights and
buzzers came on and the car started.

On the way home, the car died. Only the oil pressure warning light was on.
It restarted immediately.

I'm preparing for a cross country journey. Reliability is key. Where do I look?

Brian Pleet
82 Black Spider