Re: Milano as a Tow Car

Mille Grazie to everyone of you who responded to help me with my questions
concerning using a Milano as a towing vehicle for a small pop-top camper
trailer and for towing an Alfetta GT to and from the track.

To summarize, here's what I found out:

1.    Milano's work OK for light towing (under 3500 lbs.).  John H. informed
me that there was a factory hitch at one time and gave me the ARI part
number too.  Apparently these can be found through APE or on E-Bay, but I
haven't found a source for the factory hitch as NOS.  I found a web-site
called www.hitch-web.com.  They don't list a standard fit hitch, but have
one available if you call.  This is a 'Class I'  (under 2000 lbs tongue
weight) hitch (apparently the factory hitch was rated as a 'Class II').  It
comes with instructions and must be welded to the car.  The cost is ~$225
for the hitch and instructions.  Expect to pay another $50 to $100 for
installation, light wiring, etc.

2.    If towing for any length of time in a hot or mountainous area (or if
towing a heavy load), you may need to upgrade the radiator and add an
external cooler to the transaxle.  These are available through various
sources.  I found a racing aluminum rad for sale through the Racing
Technologies section at www.alfaheaven.com for $495.

3.    On the question of roof racks, John H. also told me about factory bars
(he gave me the original part numbers from ARI too).  Thule racks have a
fitting for the Milano.  You can buy those online at www.thuleracks.com.
They also have lots of carriers, racks of various types and boxes to attach
to them.  I use a Thule box on my '98 Jetta and it's a great way to add a
bunch of carrying space for camping gear (and Christmas gifts during the
holidays).

4.    Thanks again to all of you who responded.  If you hear of anything
else that might help, please let me know.

Cheers,
Alex Csank
'69 Spider 1300 Junior (it's sunny today, so it's a perfect day for a spin)
'78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce (waiting to put a whole bunch of new parts on her)
'87 Milano Gold (new to the stable - have to pick her up next weekend)
'98 VW Jetta TDI (roof-racked and Thule-boxed, and 49 mpg!)