Another emissions question...Again

I posted this question last weekend, either didn't get or somehow
missed a response. I really do need some help here.  (I only have
another couple of weeks to take the car back for inspection.)

I'll add a couple of pieces:

==The car runs great, both before and even stronger since the tune-up.

==When I pulled the plugs, they were slightly carboned, not the
brownish color of a perfectly tuned engine.

Here's the original post:

It weems that there have been a number of emissions questions
recently on the list.  If this has already been covered, I'm sorry,
but here goes.

The car is an 89 Graduate with 38,000 miles.

When I took the car in for New Jersey State Inspection (Dynamometer
emissions testing) a month ago I failed. You can see the numbers
below.  When I got home, I looked under the hood and noticed that the
aftermarket air intake that I had installed became dislodged and was
letting significant amounts of unmetered air into the system.  I
thought that that was the problem.

I replaced the aftermarket system with the stock system and a new air
filter, and checked the system for leaks.  Everything else was tight.
(Although I am going to double check using the propane test mentioned
earlier this week in the digest.  While I was at it, since the car
had not been tuned in about 20,000 miles, I replaced the plugs, (I'm
trying the Bosch Platinum +4's), distributor cap and wires, and
cleaned up the rotor.  (The rotor that was sent to me was the
incorrect part, and I am waiting for the replacement.)

Unfortunately, I lent my timing light to someone, and haven't gotten
it back yet,  but from what I'm reading on the list, it's use is
limited on the Bosch equiped system (then why are ther specs???), but
I need to buy a new one anyway for my other cars.

Anyway, here are the numbers, along with state maximums.  No RPM data is given.

Item	Maximum		One month ago		Yesterday	Result

NOx	1438		2245			1871		FAIL
HC	187		229			186		Pass
CO	1.05		.67			.69		Pass
CO2	n/a		12.4			11.8		n/a
O2	n/a		2.1			3.4		n/a

Also, I notice an occasionally very slight "pop" "pop" on
deceleration at about 3000 rpm.  It may have been there before, and I
just never noticed.  As I said, It is slight.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fred Sacks
89 Graduate