Koni Classics update / Front suspension cable stop

Having listed the question on both the Alfa Digest and the 750-101
Group, I would like to thank Lew Rosenberger, Charles Slayman, Tom
Lesko, and especially Tom Sahines.

The reason I added the especially to Tom Sahines was because (and while)
his reply was brief and to the point, he addressed every comment /
question I had.

Tom along with the others, in a much kinder way than I probably
deserved, made it clear there was a rubber insert which Had to be
removed first. I had removed the plastic insert, then stupidly assumed
if I had the rubber insert, it would be directly on top of the plastic
one.

Had I done what I did this a.m. and get a flashlight and look under the
top of the shocks outer cover, I would have seen the problem / solution.

Tom also somewhat agreed with my 'adjustments'full soft on the rear,
but he goes 180 (or so) degrees farther on the fronts with one to one
and a half turns.

He also mentioned he's unaware of a VW starter which fits directly to an
Alfa.

Obviously I will reinstall the rubber (and also the?) plastic insert.

'In the olden days', Koni used to make it clear (with words rather than
pictograms) that when the shocks are first purchased or at anytime the
shocks are horizontal, they should be pulled out all of the way (when in
a vertical position) pushed down and repeated several times. This is to
get any air / bubbles that might have gotten into the fluid.

I did it as a matter of course, but wonder if this is still necessary?

*********

Front suspension cable stop: When I received the 101 Giulietta Spider it
had slightly different lengths of cable stops. The newer appearing one
had the larger rubber stops and is about a half inch longer than the
other which had minimal rubber inserts.

The parts book shows the larger (for wont of a better word) 'serrated'
rubber bumpers (two per side).

The parts book indicates both 'serrated' sides point upward. This
indicates to me they should both be on the underside. Doesn't make
sense. The tension is on the 'pull' not the 'push'.

Since I not only want the stops to do their job, I also don't want
thumping to take place when going over bumps. Unless someone convinces
me otherwise, I intend installing the upper 'serrated' rubber bumper
facing downwards from the engine bay side.

**********

Still claiming newbie status (750-101 Group): I'm sure this has been
talked to death, but having used 4" bolts on the front suspension spring
pans when removing said springs, Suddenly realized they were a bit short
(you're laughing, bet you've been there).

When reinstalling I got four 6" / 9/16" bolts, nuts, and washers. Worked
like a champ. I've taken photos although it should be pretty much a
given as to how to go about this procedure. Eventually I'll 'install'
the photos on my website ('cause I like pictures and figure others might
like the same).

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

(Now with adjustable Konis)