TS conversion

I am the one taking on the twinspark conversion in my
88 spider.  Here is what I can tell you so far.  This
weekend I will be putting the engine in the car so I
will have a better understanding of what does and does
not fit then, Check back with me then.

1. You want the 8V TS engine from a 75 (Milano) the
majority of these engines already have the correct
hole in the crankshaft so that you can insert the
bushing to receive the input shaft from the
transmission.  If you do not get an engine with a hole
in the crank, then you need to dismantle the engine
and replace the crank with  a standard 2.0liter crank
or drill the TS crank.

2. Do not get a 8v from a 164 (168 in Japan?) these
engines have one distributor in the standard location
and the other in the back of the head not the front
(I.e. will not fit into the engine bay.

3. As for modifications, I am building a turbo
manifold for my TS.  After the engine is installed and
running properly I am going to feed it about 5-7psi.
This should put me somewhere around 200HP.  Chips are
avaliable for the engine, also you can download the
BIN  file and burn your own chips.

4. How cheap are we talking for an engine?  I may be
interested in doing another spider in the future?

5. You will need to fabricate and exhaust manifold,
the spacing and angle of the TS engine are different
than that of a standard 2.0liter.  I am going to buy
an IAP header and cut off the flanges and re-bend the
tubing to the proper spacing to make it fit.  I may
fabricate a custom unit in the future if this is a
viable swap.

6. The engine appears to be a little taller but I am
not so sure at this moment.  I will know more this
weekend when I drop it into the engine compartment.

7. The stock TS manifold may not fit in the spiders
engine compartment.  Though it appears that the engine
manifold off of a 83-90 spider will fit.  Better yet a
91-94 spider intake manifold would bolt on easier b/c
the idle air bypass device mounts directly to the
manifold like it is on the TS engine.

8. You need to install an electric fan in place of the
fan on the water pump.

9. The oil pan off of the 2.0 liter spider engine as
well as the oil pump need to be swapped onto the TS
engine.

Please let me know if you need any other information.
I expect to have my car done in about 2 weeks.  I will
be creating a web page to document the swap and list
the details that I discovered along the way.

Kelly M

88 Sider -TS soon.