lug nuts

If I'm not mistaken, I believe what started the
whole lug nut thread was an inquiry by W.B. Peale
as to whether he (?) could use "acorn" lug nuts with
'69 steel wheels on his new '74 hubs.  I may have
missed the answer, and don't know for sure, but my
'74 Berlina had steel wheels and acorn nuts.  I'm
guessing the hub caps are different - the '74 had
caps that were under the lug nuts - so I don't know
if there's enough clearance under hubcaps that cover
the lug nuts.  I would think they would hold the older
wheels on securely though, unless the older steel
wheels were dramatically thinner.
comments, anyone (which may be "you bonehead, we covered
this already")?
Elie
'76 Spider (alloys)
ex-'74 Berlina (steel wheels)