re: Alfa UK Sales, Sightings and Perceptions

Having recently returned from 2 weeks holidaying in the UK, I was very interested to see Tim Hancock's post (see AD-V8 #9) about Alfa UK sales.  The numbers absolutley confirm my experience in that I saw many many more of the newer model Alfas on the roads there than on my previous trip two years before.  The 156 model was particularly well represented, accounting for the vast majority of my sightings.  However I did see a few of the 147s (very striking from the front), a couple of new spiders and a new GTV.

There was a 156 twinspark owned by a neighbor two doors down from my parents.  One day the owner, probably in his 50's, was outside as I walked past.  I said "nice car" and chatted with him about it briefly.  He seemed happy with the car but his main comment was that the boot (trunk) was too small and difficult to get things into.  He didn't mention the engine, the handling, or anything else Alfas are famous for.  I got the distinct impression he bought it 'cos it looked nice and was good value.  It is good in some ways to see Alfas selling to people other than enthusiasts, as this is essential for their survival.  OTOH, it does show what sort of priorities they will have to meet to do so.  Let's just hope they don't loose sight of the essential characteristics which built the company in the process.

Another example of what they're up against was found in an issue of What Car? magazine I picked up.  A comparison test of the 147 versus the Audi A3, BMW 316 and a small Merc seemed to favor the Alfa in many ways, but eventually they plumped for the Bimmer based mainly, it seemed, on resale value (despite the fact that the BMW cost many thousands more to buy) and to some extent on perceived quality.  To be fair, they stated quality was as yet unknown, but hinted that it tended to be poor.  Yet they failed to recommend Alfas as a good used buy in the same magazine.  Humph.  At least they liked the car.

I was less pleased when one of my Alfa sightings turned out to be a breakdown, as the car was being attended to by an AA tow truck.  Also, a friend mentioned his colleague's company Alfa, which needed a new engine every couple of years.  However, he apparently never had the oil changed or performed any servicing whatsoever.  Not many modern cars would survive this abuse any better, but with Alfa the tendency is still to blame the car.  My father is a BMW man, having owned four over the last 15 years or so, and of those at least 2 have suffered seriously debilitating and expensive breakdowns.  On one, the ECU died while in France, and on another the auto transmission control system failed.  Both repairs were fortunately covered under warranty (maybe explaining the high purchase prices), but are IMO unforgivable on 3 year old vehicles from any manufacturer.  Yet BMW continues to enjoy a reputation for quality. Sigh...

I saw dissappointly few older cars on my trip, but I did spot a late RWD spider (had the later style back end), two 75's (including one driven by someone who in the US would have to be wearing a backwards baseball cap) and at least one 33.  I also noticed far fewer Alfas on the Welsh roads during a visit there - perhaps there aren't many Alfa dealers left in Wales.  The last time I was in Greece though I recall seeing a lot of battered Alfasuds driving around, but that was many years ago now.

My biggest regret is that I did not get the time to take a test drive of any of the newer Alfas.  I could probably wangle one by showing up with my dad and seeing if the salesman could impress him enough with a 166 to get him out of his BMW.  Given the low used 166 prices mentioned, it sounds pretty tempting, but somehow I doubt he'd make the change.  I din't like his latest 520 much though - it felt less seamless than his last one and more underpowered.  I suspect they have loaded it up with too many gadgets without working on the performance (priorities?).  The gadgets were annoying too, it took me forever to figure out how to work the climate control.  I'm not a fan of BMW ergonomics, but they probably have a better image for that than Alfa too.

Enough ranting.  Cheers,

Dave J.
Island Lake, IL.
1964 2600 Sprint
1987 Milano Verde
1982 GTV6 parts (hull has gone to the big junkyard in the sky) - need anything?