Cooling fans

I have an '86 GTV-6 that has always run a bit hot when standing.
Recently the thermostatically actuated cooling fans have failed to come
on when temperature exceeds upper limit.  If the car does not get moving
to push air through the radiator it pegged the temperature w/in 90
seconds.  I have checked fuses and wiring.  The fuses all seem ok, the
wiring and connections up front are quite dirty and oxidized in some
cases.  So far I have not been able to find the offending point.  I am
going to see if I can "hot wire" the fans to a manual switch until I can
find the problem.

Second problem:    The steering became heavy and "sticky" all of a
sudden.  It also "shimmies" when a bump has been hit.  Is this typical
of a dead steering damper?  Any comments on replacement?

Thanks in advance,

John,
Duetto
GT Veloce