re-reformulatd gas (was: new gas)

Michael Williams wrote 9a couple of days ago)

"Subject: re: newer gas

My 69 runs fine in the gasoline test lab known as California. No higher
incidence of filter failure here."

I just can't wait for the new, new gas.  It was a couple of years ago
that the oil companies were told to do the reformulated gas in the
entire state of California (and others, I believe) all year 'round, not
just in winter.  MTBE, the oxygenate of choice, was added.   We watched
as prices went up, and fuel economy went down.  (The oxygnated compounds
add oxygen but very little energy to the fuel.)

Now, the EPA, in their infinite wisdom see that MTBE is dangerous to
public health, aND it is getting into ground water, likely from leaky
underground gasoline storage tanks.  Now we are to stand by as the EPA
bans the use of MTBE, and the oil companies are telling us that it will
cost us more money (AGAIN) to take the MTBE out of the gas.

This all is the good news.  Good news?  Yup.  Seems that the alternative
to MTBE is alcohol.  Methanol or ethanol, I forget which.  ADM loves
this, as they are a primary producer of fuel grade alcohols.

Didn't someone recently (in the past couple of years) do work that
showed that alcohol in the fuel can lead to decomposition of some rubber
parts, such as seals, gaskets, hoses, and the like.

Golly boys and girls, this sounds like SO much fun.

Sarcasm off, for a bit.  But the serioius question remains.  Is alcohol
in fuel systems, esp in older cars, something that we will have to watch
out for?

Sorry for the content related mostly to the USofA, and specifically
California and other clean-air challenged states.

Jay Negrin
Suburban Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I know that is an redundant
76 Alfetta GT - Waiting for the tour on Sunday.  Who's with me on that?