Newer Gas & SPICA (Non-Political)

Hi,

Wanting to steer the discussion on gasoline to a more technical area:

Recently (within the last 18 months) I have been experiencing a much higher
rate of plugged rear (tank) fuel filters. Approx. every 1000 - 3000 miles.

I drained the tank to took a good look in there, and it looked clean & shiny,
although I was not able to inspect the top surface very well. Taking apart
the last plugged filter I just replaced showed no visible rust flakes or
sediment, just a fine consistent dark grayish coating on the orange paper
media. With the price of these filters edging up to $40 each, I would like to
find out the reason.

Could it be that the oil companies have recently changed the composition of
the gasoline? I always buy premium grade from the more expensive brands, but
is price a good indicator of quality? I know that in winter here in the
Pacific Northwest they alter the gasoline's chemical composition. Could the
SPICA's method of recirculating the gas thru the injector pump to cool it be
causing the new gasolines to create gums that clog the filter?

I don't really know why they have to use a different formula during the
winter, maybe this post really is a political one!

- --Caxambu
1969 Spider 1750
Seattle WA