Re: Gear Oil

I am running this blue $38/gal. Swepco 80-90wt gear oil in my '69 Spider's
tranny and differential. Came highly recommended to me too, from local
racers, same story about the Porsches, etc. It DOES leak out, more than the
90-wt cheap stuff (Sta-Lube?) I had been previously been filling them with,
from the local auto parts chains, thou maybe less than straight synthetic.
Also weeps out the fill plugs, where it did not before. Also, the gearbox and
diff are very noticibly louder, the gearbox more of a scuffly bearing noise,
esp. at idle, the diff more of a one-note whine at 70MPH. Shifting is maybe a
bit better, but I wonder how much changing the oil brand is going to help an
old gearbox. With a new gearbox maybe there'd be more of a difference. Swepco
does have an informative web site http://www.swepcousa.com/

Caxambu
1969 Spider 1750
Seattle WA

>  Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:13:51 EST
>  From: AKress1948@domain.elided
>  Subject: Re: Gear Oil - long one
>
>  Recently had my gear box lightened by Tom Sahines.  I asked about care &
>  feeding of same, and synthetic gear oil in particular.  He advised against
>  it, not because of any failure or lack of quality, but because his
> experience
>  is that it tends to leak out.  He recommended an oil made by Swepco
(Texas).

>   The story is something about running Porsche 911s w/ 300 hp engines -
>  blowing the gear boxes like clockwork.  Switched to Swepco, and they
> survived
>  even running 500 hp through them.  that sounded pretty good to me,
certainly

>  ought to cover my little 4 banger.  His only caveat was that you had to
buy
>  in gallons, and he vaguely remembered something like $ 38 per gallon.
Well,

>  considering that I've got well over a grand in this box (not all Toms) - I
>  figured what's another $38.
>  I called Swepco today - the minimum buy is a case of 6 one gallon jugs for
~

>  $ 155 (delivered).   Gee, call me cheap, but that sounds like a lot for 4
>  pints of gear oil.  At the rate I'd use the stuff, My great grand children
>  will be inheriting it.
>
>  Well, I haven't given up yet!  If I can find 5 other fish - no I mean
>  cognoscenti -  I'd gladly front the cost of the 6 gal, and spread the
wealth.

>   My best guess is that it should cost between $26 - $ 30 per gallon.  It
is
>  an 80 -90 weight, and Tom recommends it.  Enough for me - anybody else?
>  email me direct.
>  Andy
>  near Bahstahn

End of alfa-digest V7 #1483