Re: trunk release cable

>>From: Ralph_M._Fetsch@domain.elided
>>Subject: Trunk release cable
>>Terry wrote:
>>Guys, mine broke today right at the inside lever.  Any tips on replacing
>>same?  I know this has been discussed before, but of course I didn't pay
>>attention at the time.  I found the hole where one can pry open the
>>in-the-trunk latch and it seems easy to rig a backup....cable and back up
>>would work much easier if the spring was removed.  Can anyone suggest a
>>reason for not removing the spring??
>>Cheers, Terry

I tried a procedure similar to that suggested by Ralph and it works fine.
Unfortunately
I didn't know about the hole to open the latch.  It would have been handy
to know that so that I could have gotten my laptop put of the trunk so I
wouldn't have looked like a doofus at the meeting.  Had to endure some
cracks about Eyetalian car reliability.  Can someone explain how this
emergency release works (unlike Ralph, I figure the cable is a consumable
and fully expect the new one to blow some time in the future).  Also, is
this feature one that could be used by some knowledgeable thief to get
access to an otherwise locked trunk ?

Carlo, SF
86 Spider Quad - hard top comes off tonight !