Re: When/how to re-torque Spider head bolts

Bryan Carter wrote:

>It was suggested to me recently that I should
>re-torque the head bolts on my '74 Spider every time I
>change the oil...

> I was told this will prevent a common problem
>of the head gasket leaking oil.  This all struck me as
>odd.

>Also, the procedure
>seemed strange.  I was under the impression that the
>head bolts pass through the coolant which means that
>removing the bolts would allow the threaded portions
>of the block they screw into to fill with water.  Any
>advice appreciated

Bryan - You are right in considering this an "odd" suggestion. There is a
procedure for torquing the head bolts when the head is replaced and it is
normally redone after the first 500 miles. Some people like to check them
once a year or so, I normally leave them alone.

The problem of a leaking head gasket was almost always caused by failed
o-rings at the oil passages, not by any inherent loosening of the head bolts
and that can be remedied by installing the roll pins and viton o-rings
supplied by your favorite Alfa parts vendor. On your '74 Spider I'd guess
there's a 99% chance that has already been done.

As to the head bolts passing through the coolant - correct, but they are
actually studs screwed into the bottom of the block and do not come out.
Only the cap nuts come off.

If your head gasket is not leaking oil externally or into the coolant my
suggestion would be to relax and not worry about it. Even if the problem
should manifest itself it won't leave you stranded anywhere. Many people
have driven their Alfas for years with leaky head gaskets.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project
E-Mail - mailto:pi@domain.elided