When/how to re-torque Spider head bolts

  It was suggested to me recently that I should
re-torque the head bolts on my '74 Spider every time I
change the oil.  The procedure was described as
follows: one at a time, and in the proper tightening
sequence, remove completely a head bolt, coat it with
anti-seize compound, reinstall it and torque to proper
spec.  I was told this will prevent a common problem
of the head gasket leaking oil.  This all struck me as
odd.
  So my questions are -- is it necessary to re-torque
the heads, and if so how often?  Also, the procedure
seemed strange.  I was under the impression that the
head bolts pass through the coolant which means that
removing the bolts would allow the threaded portions
of the block they screw into to fill with water.  Any
advice appreciated.  In about 3 months I'm going to be
driving this car from Va. to Wa. and I don't want any
surprises.
Thanks
Bryan Carter
Olympia, Wa. -- 4 days here and the sun finally came
out.