Re: I fit Mercedes front calipers. Rears are still dead.

Dave,

I would suggest that maybe the master cylinder swept volume is not
sufficient to cope with the extra fluid volume requirement due to the
larger front pistons.

Also, you may have a collapsed rear hose, the inner lining can separate
& obstruct the fluid flow.

Regards,

Tony Stevens
Alfa Stop
England

In message , Davide Frada <davidef@domain.elided> writes
>By chance I discovered that older Mercedes calipers (front and rear) will
>fit my Berlina. I compared the calipers on a 1971 parts Mercedes that I have
>to the Alfa calipers, and found that aside from piston size, they were
>exactly the same, and shared the same pads. I fitted them to the Alfa, and
>now have fantastic front brakes. The rears, however, hardly brake at all. No
>where near as much fluid comes out of the rear bleed nipples as it does the
>front, and since the master, calipers, and flex lines are new, my guess is
>the pressure regulator. When I went under the car to example the regulator,
>one of the wires came off in my hand - it was completely corroded.
>
>Could this be the problem?
>
>Oh, and Mercedes rear caliper have smaller pistons.
>

>Thanks
>Davide

- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900