I fit Mercedes front calipers. Rears are still dead.

By chance I discovered that older Mercedes calipers (front and rear) will
fit my Berlina. I compared the calipers on a 1971 parts Mercedes that I have
to the Alfa calipers, and found that aside from piston size, they were
exactly the same, and shared the same pads. I fitted them to the Alfa, and
now have fantastic front brakes. The rears, however, hardly brake at all. No
where near as much fluid comes out of the rear bleed nipples as it does the
front, and since the master, calipers, and flex lines are new, my guess is
the pressure regulator. When I went under the car to example the regulator,
one of the wires came off in my hand - it was completely corroded.

Could this be the problem?

Oh, and Mercedes rear caliper have smaller pistons.

Thanks
Davide