More head gasket input

First off, I'm referring to 4-cylinder Alfa engines. I agree with others
that one needs to gently scrape and clean up the block surface. I
especially liked Rich Hirsch's suggestion of using 240 / 320 wet / dry
sandpaper with WD-40 after removing gasket remnants.

Here's where I differ. Chances are you removed the head because there
was a problem with it. These might include burned valves, worn valve
guides, and / or blown head gasket.

I suggest you do what you are comfortable with (and capable of)--i.e.,
remove cams, 'buckets', shims, valve springs, valves, and perhaps do a
pre-cleaning--or not.

Take the head to an automotive machinists and have him (I've never met a
female automotive machinists, but assume Kathy Jo, formally from Seattle
will let me know otherwise should I be incorrect) do the work
required--especially resurfacing the head no more than is absolutely
necessary.

It would also make sense to also have him either regrind or replace
valves, valve guides, and recut valve seats.

An Alfa knowledgeable machinists (like I'm fortunate to know) can
reassemble the entire head including cams and will have the necessary
shims--or you can of course do it yourself.

My feeling is that no matter how careful one is, you're not going to end
up with a block surface which is perfectly flat--smooth perhaps, but not
totally flat. If you combine that with a hand sanded head, odds are
there are going to be significant gaps, in some areas, between the
mating surfaces.

By resurfacing the head, you've eliminated one surface from having hills
and valleys.

While I've been told the equivalent of 'I'll die and burn in Hell' for
using a head gasket sealant on an Alfa engine, I continue to do so.
Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket is my entry into Hell (as if I needed
one). I spray all surfaces--gasket, head, block--and using my clean, but
bare hands, pick the gasket up by the edges, place it on the block, add
the Viton O-rings, plop the head on, and torque her down (after putting
anti-seize on the nuts).

I retorque every head after 10 minutes running, again before it leaves
the shop, and again around 500 miles.

My head gaskets don't blow. Period.

Biba
(and I include my address every time because I feel it's nice (and
polite) to know who and where the individuals are located in which we're
all 'talking / listening' to)
Irwindale CA, USA