Alloy wheels and SOS (oh no)

Alloy wheels are coated or painted, usually the latter as it is more
durable and easier to manufacture. bare aluminum will oxidize rapidly to a
silvery grey colour, not terribly attractive on a car.

bead blasting and re painting or re coating is the only answer to far gone
alloys. Fortunately the oxide only goes skin deep in the absence of any
real acid or salt to pit the metal, so a bead or "shot" blasting (actually
crushed walnut shells) will restore the bright smooth finish ready for
paint or coating.

Steel wool should never be used on anything aluminum, besides there are now
purely plastic scouring pads which are at least as effective as steel wool
and will not adversely impact the metal. Steel wool among other defects,
will embed in the paint, coating, or aluminum and corrode to a "lovely"
reddish brown colour (almost a rust colour you might say)! Also, steel in
the aluminum can actually accelerate corrosion, Al having a valence of 3 to
Fe valence of 2 (although my daughters assure me that valence is now an
antiquated idea!).

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada