Spider Conv Top Question

I'm in the process of replacing the top of my '78 Spider and purchased some
hardware in advance.  One of these pieces is the inner top plastic strip.
The Alfa Conv Top manual doesn't mention or show this piece.  Where does it
go?  Although my new piece doesn't have any holes, both the old Ricambi and
IAP catalogs show holes in this piece as if it may go under the gasket
retainer?

(The PO didn't even use a gasket retainer so I have no clue with the
existing top)

Thanks for the help,
Roger Hambro
Pittsburgh, PA