Re: Alloy wheels and SOS (oh no)

First you should make sure you know what your working with. Brake dust
should not be so hard to remove as to resort to SOS.

I bought a 928S4 a couple of years ago and the wheels were brassy gray, I
thought the brake dust had stained them.  I used a cleaner for anodized
wheels, worked and worked, but they just would not come clean.  After a
month goes by I looked up the 'build code' to see what options were included
in the car, and I come across "platinum anodized wheels"  They were supposed
to be this color!  The dealer didn't even know they made this platinum
colored wheel (they suggested I buy new wheels$$$).

Alloy wheels can also be anodized. Anodizing is basically a chemical
treatment that penetrates the surface of aluminum alloy.  It hardens the
surface and can be clear or colored.  But, you can wear this surface off and
as Michael Smith noted SOS should not be used even for a last resort.

One product I found effective is P21S Wheel Cleaner; it is a great
combination of strong cleaner but safe for paint/coated/anodized surfaces.
As a last resort material for metal is 'Never Dull'.  I used this on my
anodized wheels with no ill effect, but would not recommend it for every
condition.  Some people remove their paint/anodizing and mirror polish their
wheels (much better the chroming) and use 'Never Dull' once a week.  It is
non abrasive, and keeps the aluminum shinny.

I found a great online spot for cleaners (no personal interest).  Car Care
Specialties, Inc at www.carcareonline.com .  Owner Larry Reynolds is very
knowledgeable and helpful.  The web page has helpful tips as well.

Mike Monson
87 Verde
Sacatomatos, CA