Re: GAS - Yea, I agree

Ron:

I posted a similar message to the digest yesterday, and got
some hate mail back.  Be prepared.  Something to the effect
of "Saint Clinton is spending your gas tax wisely, using it
to fill in potholes, and build new interstates".  In other words,
a message from a real genius!

There has been a lot of ranting and raving about high gas
prices on the internet over the past few weeks, most of
which has been of the " *&^%$ A-Rabs" genre.  Frankly,
I don't blame the Middle Easterners (and Venezualians,
and Norwegians, and Malasians, and Texans ...) for
jacking up crude oil prices - heck, there is a boom
economy in the West, why shouldn't they get their cut?

But, for our own governments to take such a huge bite,
and then 1) refuse to adjust taxes, and 2) refuse to tap
the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, and 3) mumble that
maybe, someday, Madeline will go talk with the OPEC
folks - is just bullshit.

As you accurately point out, politicians - typified by
Al Gore - would LOVE to see gas at $5.00 a gallon,
and be able to create union-built, government-
administered, massive-scale public transportation
systems.  Then, the Federal Governmnt would have
control of yet another aspect of every citizen's life.
I can't blame the politicians either - they're all scum,
but hey - that's what they do for a living.  What
frosts me is that most of the populace just passivly
accepts it.

Jay Mackro