re: corvettes vs. alfa

Someone once wrote:
>  the corvette could toast *any* alfa on *any* road or on *any* track.
>  prolly could toast most *any* car period.

Skipping the possibility of turning time back to 1970's and
suggesting the Alfa Tipo 33TT12 on any track you care to mention....

I would like to nominate the special stages of either the
Catalonia Rally in Spain, or the Tour de Corse (in Corsica!),
as these are certainly roads (and could be considered to be
tracks too I guess), and the Alfa would be a FWD Alfa 145,
prepared to same specification (F2/Rally Kit Car) as the
FWD Citroen Xsara which Philippe Bugalski used to win these
two WRC events in 1999.

This 2L FWD car beat all the 4WD Turbo Cars like Subaru WRC
and Ford Focus WRC etc. I can't imagine how any road going
Corvette, if based on standard body/chassis (Front Engine/RWD
and super wide), however modified could have been any faster
over these roads.

If I had to nominate another FIAT group car to beat the Corvette
over these roads, I would suggest the Lancia Delta Integrale.

I am happy to admit that *some* Corvettes will beat *some* Alfas
over *some* roads and tracks (maybe even *many*), but to say
*any* ???

As for FWD/RWD in general, I like the idea of RWD for a pure
sports car, but as soon as say saloon/sedan, you are then
accepting that car design is a complex compromise.

What does a pure driving machine need rear seats for?

Any of course, a pure sports car would be a Coupe, not a Spider,
as the Coupe is the more rigid chassis design.

Best Regards
- --
  Alex Jenner -  mailto:alexj@domain.elided