re: corvettes vs. alfa

>> the corvette could toast *any* alfa on *any* road or on *any* track.
>> prolly could toast most *any* car period.

>Tell me - I'm interested... what colour is the sky on your planet?

>Unless, of course, by 'track' you mean 'oval'...

I'll jump into this as an interested onloooker.

First off, I've never liked corvettes (or for that matter ANY GM product).
Big fat fiberglass pigs. Latest generation (C5) looks and evidently IS much
nicer. It has gained some grudging respect from me. And then...

Last weekend a bunch of us took the alfas down to the local autocross which
is put on by a club that is heavily corvette. Nice folks. We were very
impressed with how those Corvettes handled the course. One of the newest
'vettes did times to beat many of the stripped-down total-autocross machines
(and Integra R's & M3's). And done with what appeared to be the greatest of
ease... quiet exhaust, no tire squeal, little lean... Granted the driver has
much input here and he must have been quite good but still the car has to be
able to peform too!
Anyway, our gang of Alfas were nowhere near the times these guys were doing.
I have new respect for 'vettes after that. I'd never own one but I'd hate to
get in a pissing match with a well-driven one on the road... it would be over
so fast for my poor alfas...

Happy where I am (but still waiting for the 156...)
Michael Williams