Re: FWD RWD AWD

The 16 Mar 2000 21:16:29 -0700 C M Smith wrote:

>For those who will not buy one or other of the above because it "wouldn't
snip!! go to see digest 1457 to see what he wrote;)

Well. I'm one of those RWD aficionados.
I've driven a lot of kilometers with a lot of cars. FWD, 4WD, RWD.
I began with FWD, both city cars and fast cars (like Lancia Thema
Turbo, or VW Golf GTI). I've owned FWD cars till I got my first
RWD, that was my first 75 and first Alfa so far.
I've seen the lite.
After that I kept on with the same car (the 75), just more powerful (much
more)

And I do use it in winter, and even on the snow.
With RWD, summer tires, stiff susp. setup, and a turbine I was able to made it
everywhere last winter, even where other FWD or 4WD cars were stuck in the
white
shit!!
Driver's skill ?? Maybe... my hobby is taking around herds of hps installed
both on 2 and 4 wheels... I can think my skill is far superior than common
vehicle users, but it was great seeing my not-winter-compatible OLD car
taking
me around, HAVING FUN, where other newer cars, reliable, full of servos and
optionals were there, stopped roadside.
I'm at the point that the only car that would satisfy me over a pure RWD
like mine is the LAncia Delta Integrale (4WD ofcourse).
But there's no FWD attracting me.  I've seen lotsa FWD cars I can define
"DREAM CARS"... beautiful, powerful, fast.... but among 1000 great things,
just that "FWD" is something creating in me a sense of loathing.

When I had to get the last car, I was on market for an Alfa, and my choice
was
between a 75 and the 164 2000 Twin Spark.  I choosed the 75 because it's
RWD, and I wasn't really able to think of myself driving around a FWD.
(I'd get the 164 now, but KEEPING my 75. The 164 could be ok for taking me
around daily)

Why this all??

As CM Smith says, one big thing is THE FUN factor.
Then... well... why the hell should I like FWD car to drive around??
I've no reasons!
why?
SIMPLE: I never drive around.  Everytime I pick my Alfa (same for my bikes
ofcourse), even for going from A to B... well... I can't say I just "drive
there",
because behind there's all a ritual, all an amount of sensations... all
things making me thinking: "I'm having fun!!".
I don't use the vehicles I LOVE for A-B commuting. I refuse to do that.
I wouldn't use my Alfa for commuting, nor my bike.  A daily drive must
be something I don't love, something I can sell away.
That's why I commute with a stupid scooter (50cc). I just don't care
about it.
The rare days I decide to move the 75 or the bike for going to work, well,
I wake up 30 minutes before, because I wanna take my time to warm up, and
maybe taking a longer (twisty) route.

I can't afford more than one car, so my only one must be RWD and be my
pleasure
toy, not just be a tool.
I've been told I'm slave of my vehicles. HA. I left these people thinking
that way,
because it would have been wasted time trying to explain PASSION. Passion
can be just
LIVED, can't be explained or told,  (Enzo Ferrari taught)

If I could afford a new car for daily use, well, I think I would get a
156 2.4 JTD, reliabe, powerful, diesel (=cheaper), enough Alfa to make it
worth
sitting inside and UN-PURE Alfa enough to be used as a commuter then dealed in
for the next version.  FWD.

There are THOUSANDS of CHEAP and RELIABLE cars on the market.
We all here keep on with "old craps" source of 1000 trouble.

All this for a matter of PASSION.

So... why RWD ???
It's passion. Just that. It's a matter of sensation, knowing the
power coming from that incredible-voice engine is delivered at your
shoulder, and that you gotta be ready to hadle it.
It's PURE PASSION.

Forget about the curve trajectory thingy, forget about over 230hp making
FWD unworth or whatever, forget about 4WD messing with steering feeling.

RWD is just the best because it is the only system producing sensations
feeding emotions, building up THE PASSION.
If you drive a FWD or 4WD you just fit the mass.
If you drive a RWD, and love it, you belong to somekind of elite,
exactely like owning an Alfa puts you in a higher level than owning
any other 4 wheeled thing.

Luca
1 car, 2 bikes and half, 1 scoot, 3 trashed mopeds, coupla bicycles
                          All RWD!!