164 alignment - here we go again.

Ascher

The alignment figures that you list (0-2mm toe out at the front, 4-6mm toe
in at the rear) are the ones listed by the Alfa Technical Service Bulletin
that can be found on the 164 homepage. Fred D and I agree that the car goes
better and tyre wear is improved if you use less toe than that. Fred and I
disagree about the amount.

Rear toe in promotes straight line stability. If you use less toe in you
should notice improved "turn in" from the car. The drag caused by road
friction means that the rear wheels tend to toe out at speed, as the
suspension bushes compress. The amount of the toe out is conjecture, but I
aim for 1-2mm of static toe in so that the rear tyres have close to nil toe
in at speed. Note that the toe on each rear tyre must be equal. I had one
shop do all the adjustment on one side, like a front alignment!

The torque of front wheel drive cars causes toe in under power, so the aim
is to have a little toe out so that the tyres have zero toe at speed. A
little toe out also helps prevent the wheels oscillating from toe in to toe
out, which is felt as a 'skittishness' in the steering, or what we call
'tramlining' in OZ. I am fussy about the front alignment and look for 1mm
toe out. A cautionary note here is that worn a-arm bushes will allow a lot
of toe out under braking, which is the major culprit of inside tyre wear. If
you have the slightest concern about tyre wear, I suggest you get on the
'phone to AlfaBill and get some new superpro bushes organised ASAP.

Fred D. goes for zero static toe front and rear, he may well reply to this
posting calling my logic witchcraft (just joking).

Two Alfa's Doug
Melbourne, Australia
Blue '91 164L
White '86 GTV6