FWD RWD AWD

For those who will not buy one or other of the above because it "wouldn't
drive right" please remember that FWD actually has a theoretical
superiority to RWD in generating cornering force. This results from the
intuitively correct suspicion that turning the drive wheels in the
direction of the desired direction actually produces a cornering force
derived from traction and not from slip angle.

AWD may be superior for some applications but carries a substantial weight
penalty (and cost). Also, the dead feel on the steering can be annoying to
some (er... some consider dead steering to be a virtue on FWD, as that
means no torque steer, I beg to differ but there you are).

RWD actually has little to recommend it for a road car. For a racing car it
is generally accepted to be superior to other layouts, but it isn't
actually. All successful rally cars are AWD for the simple reason that with
enough power the weight penalty doesn't matter, and the handling/traction
is unbeatable. So why does the myth of the superiority of RWD persist? It's
more fun! But apart from that, a well sorted FWD will outperform a RWD car
in almost all road situations. Racing and slalom etc show a superiority for
RWD that is simply not borne out by the physics of the thing. It's purely a
driving thing.

I've driven FWD for so long now, RWD just feels weird. It's just so bad in
slippery weather I wonder why anyone puts up with it.  I drive
hard,  winter spring summer and fall, and just can't be bothered to adapt
my driving style to the season (wise, as in Calgary the seasonal weather
doesn't match the actual seasons!). With FWD, you just drive. Sure, I've
lost, even spun, FWD cars (a neat trick I can tell you, only on snowy roads
though), but generally you can recover a FWD easily (unless it starts
spinning then you're just a passenger).

Now, AWD is very entertaining, but even Audi and Subaru, probably the best
exponents of the genre at the moment, haven't really dealt with the dead
steering feel. Plus it is very difficult to position the car using the
throttle, something very easy to arrange with either FWD or RWD. Also, the
precise split of torque front to rear is very important and different
depending on the situation (now don't start claiming Porsche has solved
these problems, they haven't, though I admit I have not driven an AWD
Porsche, more's the pity). And on a street car developing less than say 230
hp the weight penalty is just too much. Once the power goes much above 230
hp then FWD runs into pure traction problems which do not affect RWD or AWD.

  In slippery weather AWD gives one an entirely unjustified feeling of
security which can really get the unwary deep into the doodoo with no way
out. Last time I checked even Chrysler equipped their cars with four wheel
braking (though it can be hard to tell that the rears are working until
they lock up and spin the Van) (aren't all Chryslers vans (or trucks) under
the skin?) so AWD cars do not have any inherent superiority in slippery
weather that I can make out anyway (for the street).

I would never have a RWD car as my daily driver in winter, they just are so
primitive (especially the BMW and Mercedes which are just a joke when the
going gets tough, hmmm neither marque even attempts the World Rally
Championship). But, I concede that it is a matter of taste and expected
driving conditions. Just a word to those died in the wool (woops, froidian
slip?) (oh keep those puns and letters coming) RWD aficionados, try living
with a really good FWD car before you make your final decision, a 164 would
be an excellent first choice.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada