Re: FWD vs AWD

> The fwd VW/Audis can be rotated with drop throttle oversteer

What I've always enjoyed about older FWD Audis was their ability to
rotate under *power* as well as drop-throttle.  It's mild compared to a
105/115 series Alfa, because on the Alfa the extra torque on the rear
wheels swings the slip angles outward in that oh-so-rewarding manner,
but it's there nevertheless.  A GTI's suspension can be tuned to do this
- -- my old autocrosser would point the nose in toward the apex when I got
on the power at the corner exit in a very satisfying way, but that
required pretty extreme front camber.  But even my rain-beater/parts
hauler '83 Audi CGT will point the nose in when I get on the gas midway
through a turn.  The rear suspension geometry of older FWD Audis is
designed to produce roll oversteer (to help counter the excess weight in
front of the drive wheels, of course).  It's a very cleverly designed
suspension (and has a couple of international patents, if I recall), for
something that looks like it does nothing but keep the rear bumper off
the pavement.

As for AWD, it's only because the sun came out last weekend that I
haven't sold all my Alfas and traded them for a quattro that's more
sporting in its intentions than my wife's built-for-comfort '93 100csq.
Entering a corner in the rain, braking for corner entry, then STOMPING
on the gas so that the autobox kicks down two gears and goes to full
power *as you're transitioning to corner exit* simply causes the quattro
to blaze out of the corner in the intended line.  No plow, no fishtail,
no wheelspin, no steering wheel correction -- just very very rapid
forward motion along the arc of the corner that you originally steered
for.  I caution anyone who has not yet driven an AWD car in a sporting
manner: you do so at your peril, because it may very well change
everything you thought you liked about cars, or at least about their
driving dynamics.

And then the sun came out and the top came down, and Bronwen my almost
9-year-old daughter and I took the '74 out to buy goodies for my wife's
birthday dinner, and I fell in love with the Spider again.  I love the
way the car yaws when you goose the gas, the way you point the car's
nose with your hands but make it really *drive* around the corner with
your foot.  On a sunny day, or even a cool summer evening, it's a joy.
But if I had to go anyplace fast in the rain... I know which car I'd
take, and I know that FWD versus RWD is an argument over the lesser of
two mediocrities.

- --Scott Fisher
  two Alfas, two Audis