gear shitf lever from hell

Hi,

I have been spending the last several months studying the lack of crisp
shifting on one
of my 84 Alfa Spiders and have a question about the gear shift selector rod
(the one you hold while you are shifting your car).  I have moved all of the
electrical connectors from around the shift lever and it still interferes
with the dash and still lack crisp shifting in 1, 3 and 5th.  It hits both
the mirror control and the row off indicator lights on the top of the dash.
I have new motor mounts
on the car, but possible very old shocks.  I have been looking at the gear
shift selector as described above and their appears to be a really bad
welding job where the rod connects to piece that goes into the transmission.
My question is are the all like that ?
Also I have noticed that my car sags in front left by about 3/4 inch on the
left.  Could that be caused by the shocks  or do I have to replace the
springs ?

Thanks,

Doug K