Re: Spider alternator output

>Anybody know the output of the alternator used on a 1974 Spider?
>Are there bigger ones available and if so, how do I tell them
>apart? I'm interested in putting a pair of 100/55w halogen bulbs
>in and need to know if the system can handle it.

I'm not certain of the outputs without going home to check my CarDisc
records, but I know the '82 and up Spiders came with the later model,
higher output, 'one wire' Bosch alternator as opposed to the older
alternator/regulator setup. I run Hella headlights with 60/60W bulbs, they
put out a good bit of light and I've not seen any particular reason to go
with the higher output 100/55s as yet.

I'm fairly certain that the '74 Spider does not have relay-switched
headlight circuitry so if you want to go up to high wattages, you should
look into rewiring the headlight circuits for relays. Regardless of
whether the alternator puts out enough juice to keep up (I think even the
older one would but I'm not sure), you won't get much benefit from the
higher wattage unless they can get ample power and I feel they'll be
resistance limited with the original wiring.

Godfrey