spider head gasket plus other cunnundrums

Hello all, I've been on lurking since I subscribed to the digest a few weeks
ago, and I am full of questions on my 87 spider grad.  First off, since I've
owned it (for about two beautiful years now) I've noticed a VERY severe
THUMPA-THUMPA-THUMPA coming from directly underneath the handbrake lever
whenever I back up even slightly fast (I heard it described as a bowling ball
bouncing around under the car).  I also noticed it once or twice in first on
a hard start off the line.  Well, after it sat for a while, I went to move
it, and I noticed a very different sound, something feels different, and
there is a noticeable thumpa just easing into first.I remember hearing
something like this last week or the week before, but I can't find the post,
would universal joints, and a slip yoke sound in order, or am I getting my
threads crossed? Is this something I can do myself, or do I need a "Headlight
Fluid Flush Pump" that can only be found at an Alfa Romeo "dealership"? I
payed an inordinate amount of $ about 10,000 mi ago to have that rubber donut
thingy replaced, but based on what I've heard, I don't have much trust for
that mechanic.
Second question,  I remember Fred had posted some inquiry on a spider that
was overheating, then running normal very sporadically.  I am having the same
troubles with mine, although I don't have a solution.  I have the same oily
goop getting into the air duct from the hose that comes from the oil vapor
separator, but I don't know that this is related.  I remember that he was
worried about a head gasket (gasp).  Come to think of it, the guy I bought it
from in Jacksonville, NC said another unreputable mechanic had done a head
gasket job on it.  I've got RTV all over the place because of that one.  (By
the way, what IS normal coolant temp on a 2.0 engine?)
Lastly, my spidey is also idling very strangely, bouncing around from 500 to
1500 rpm or so,  I can't find any leaks in the air ducts, but someone
mentioned something about some rubber seal in the throttle body somewhere?
Again, I lost the post.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, spring break is next week and I think
Im going to be spending it underneath my baby.  Hopefully she'll be driveable
by the end of the week.
Oh, hello to Bernie Z and Texas Hill Country AROC.  I joined you all for the
BROTT Tour (the campfire anyway), and havent had time to drop a line since.
I will though I promise. And to whoever was driving that red spider veloce
last week in Bryan TX, howdy!
Sorry this is so long,

Jake
(arachnophiliac)
Bryan, TX
87 Spider grad
several lesser vehicles with fewer personality quirks