Belts, harnesses and re-webbing

Hi,

     Belts with new buckles for everyday driving can be bought relatively
inexpensively. A three point system in an old GTV should use the anchor bolt
hole located in the trim panel behind the drivers and passengers doors, the
holes in the sills and in the tunnel. 2" wide web is fine if you don't plan
on hitting anything.
    Harnesses, as used in race cars, street cars that do double duty, and by
those drivers that worry about hitting things hard should have 3" lap belts,
2" or 3" wide shoulder belts (3" is required by most sanctioning bodies for
racing)  and an anti-submarine belt, or two, at least 1" wide. If you count
all the anchor points for these belts you'll get a 4, 5 or 6 point "system".
You used to be able to get away with a "Y" type shoulder harness with one
anchor point. I believe you now have to have an "H" system with two.
Shoulder harnesses can be fitted to the roll bar or the chassis but can't
angle down below the top of the shoulders very much or they become
ineffective and will "shorten your stature" in an impact, compressing your
spine rather than keeping you from shooting forward like they're supposed
to. Running shoulder belts through the approriate holes in an approved race
seat helps. A suitable anchor point for the 74 GTV is just above the body
seam that runs horizontally across the "back seat" area. It's a touch low
but is a strong area. Always use large diameter washers at the ataching
points to help spread the load.
    A full harness is a pain for everyday driving, but you can use the lap
belts with a modified shoulder belt that "crosses" your chest if you're
creative. I avoid the anti-sub strap.
    I just had my full harness re-webbed by Autopower in San Diego for $
50.00 US, about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost af a new set  I don't have their number
but they are in the 619 area code and I'm sure you can get it from
information. They use SFI spec 16.1 webbing and sew on the date codes to
satisfy the scrutineers. A shoe repair shop can re-web old belts. You just
don't know how old or good the webbing he's using is. Don't count on getting
through Tech with shoe shop or home sewn web.

    Good luck,

Steve Smith
Carlsbad, CA