Seat Belts and Radar detectors

Seat belts:

I read recently probably in the Alfa Owner or on here I'm not sure, that the
BEST and CHEAPEST (odd that they go together so well in this case) is to
take your belts to a place that repairs parachutes.  The webbing they use is
top notch, and the stitching they do is obviously just as great. (would you
trust yourself hanging in mid-air 2000 feet above the earth to a shoe
repairman's needle?)

Radar Detectors:

I have always used Escort radar detectors and swear by them.  They have
saved me a lot of money over the years (twice tonight!).  They have
incredible sensitivity and work forever.  Right now I am using Escorts
cordless SOLO 5 model and it is great.  The only loss in sensitivity due to
not using a chord is in the KA band.  THis band is the instant on band that
is used mainly by suburban cops.  If this goes off your probably caught
anyway unless you can slow town in a fraction of a second.  The cordless is
great because I can EASILY slip it into my pocket when the need be, I can
EASILY transfer it from one car to another, and it looks a lot better and
more hidden without a cord across my dash.  The sensitivty lost in the KA
band can be easily regained if you purchase the optional cord for the Solo
5, so if you are really worried about that you can have the best of both
worlds.  Escort has always used top notch electronics and filters for their
radar detectors and are just better than any other brand.  They look very
good as well.

I imagine the Valentine (spelling?) radar detectors are very good as well
because the founder used to work with Escort but split off later.  The
downside of the Valentine is that it is a BUTT-UGLY unit.  It is probably
just as good as an Escort but the ugly factor loses it in my mind, but
that's obviously just an opinion (perhaps too strong a one).

Another brand to consider:  My 164 also has a K40 radar detector hard wired
into it (by a previous owner).  It has the reciever in the front grille and
the display is mounted on the steering column (looks like it came with the
car!).  Mine is an older unit however and only recieves X and K bands so I
still use my Solo, but the K40 has excellent sensitivity as well.  The
downside is that I'm not sure if you can still purchase them (they might be
illegal), you have to install them, and they probably cost a lot more.

Just throwing out my two cents worth!!

Tim Annett
1994 164 Q
Cincinnati