Re: Return of the Rattling Spider Thread...

Carlo, if I'm not mistaken, your '86 Spider Quad has a catalytic converter
in the spot the early cars had the infamous "front resonator" mounted. The
pre-cat front resonators are notorious for getting rusty inside then making
that buzzing sound around 3000-4000 RPM. If you do have a buzz coming from
the ventilation system, maybe you could verify it by plugging up the air
inlet at the front of the car (not the one the engine breathes thru). ;=)
The resonator buzz is easily verified by driving next to a freeway K-wall,
or even by stopping the car, opening the door, leaning out till your ear
is near the ground, then revving the motor.

Annoying noises can be the most irritating part of owning a classic car.