Re: Return of the Rattling Spider Thread...

Simon Favre wrote:

> Carlo, if I'm not mistaken, your '86 Spider Quad has a catalytic converter
> in the spot the early cars had the infamous "front resonator" mounted. The
> pre-cat front resonators are notorious for getting rusty inside then making
> that buzzing sound around 3000-4000 RPM. If you do have a buzz coming from
> the ventilation system, maybe you could verify it by plugging up the air
> inlet at the front of the car (not the one the engine breathes thru). ;=)
> The resonator buzz is easily verified by driving next to a freeway K-wall,
> or even by stopping the car, opening the door, leaning out till your ear
> is near the ground, then revving the motor.

Simon,

While your little listening test will certainly help to confirm if the noise is
coming from underneath the car, it will unfortunately NOT verify that any
undercarriage buzzing is coming from the "resonator" (catalytic convertor, in
this case, as you correctly note).

Carlo,

Here is the summary of responses I recieved after (re)starting this thread:

- - Drive shaft pilot bushing at transmission output shaft.

- - Rubber around driveshaft intermediate bearing

- - Sump gaurd rattling against sump

- - Support between intake and motor mount

- - A/C return line passing through firewall

- - Exhaust: Support bracket at transmission

- - Exhaust: Hairline fracture in front section

- - Exhaust: Catalytic converter heat shield

Hope this helps.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega" (still hoarse)